Monday, April 03, 2006

Damsel Locks Keys in Car

By Katie Deem
Picture it: Wal-Mart, midnight. A young woman searches for cuticle clippers in the beauty aisle. She selects the perfect pair and moves to the checkout lanes. She spends $4. She then checks her purse for her car keys. She shakes the purse to try to hear that familiar jingle, but she hears nothing. It suddenly dawns on her: She left her keys in the car.

Yes, that young woman is me. I had two options after I realized I had locked my keys in my car. I could become hysterical, angry, upset or I could remain calm. I chose the latter. I sat calmly onto the bench at the front of the store and considered what I should do. I called my mother. I was thinking that she, my mentor, my protector, would know what to do. She would come to my rescue, say that it was okay that I left the keys in the ignition, that everyone has done it. She, however, was unsympathetic. She refused to come to my aid. She suggested I ask someone at Customer Service what to do. I hung up on her. Then, of course, took her advice.

The Customer Service representatives at Wal-Mart were very helpful. Two men attempted to stick a wire hanger into the door of my car, but to no avail. Two women helped me contact the Vienna Police Department in the hope that an officer would come and break into my car for me.

I spoke to a man who agreed to send an officer to Wal-Mart. I told him I would wait in front of the right-side entrance. I thanked the Wal-Mart Customer Service Representatives for their kindness and their help, then I proceeded to the entrance. I had waited only a few minutes when I spotted a Vienna Police Department vehicle pulling into the parking lot. He pulls in front of the entrance and says hello. I look into the vehicle and this police officer is nothing short of a vision.

Maybe it was because I felt like such a damsel in distress or maybe because I had been practically abandoned by my mother, but he glowed as though he donned shining armor. I showed him where my car was parked. He pulled up beside it as I walked over. He stepped out, still aglow, and spoke. Every sentence he spoke was polite. He unlocked my car, and I expressed my gratitude.

I got into the car, and honestly, I had to laugh. It had been such a ridiculous evening. My late-night trip to Wal-Mart should have taken 20 minutes, but ended up taking two hours. It’s a lesson learned. Next time I’ll remember the keys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home