Monday, February 27, 2006

Kwan Dreams Dashed

By Rachel Nowery
   America received a great shock during the start of the Olympic games:  Michelle Kwan, nine-time National champion and five-time World champion in figure skating, resigned from competing in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy.
   Kwan, resigned from the Winter games due to a groin injury that had been reoccurring over the past several months. Kwan stated that she had felt stiff before her warm up Feb. 11 and when she went to do a triple flip, she pulled the muscle. Things just got worse throughout the day. Doctors examined Kwan and advised her not to continue with the competition. Kwan later decided to pull out of the Olympics.
   This was Kwan’s last chance for an Olympic gold. Being in her sport for 10 years, the 25-year-old feels that it is time to retire. She received a silver medal from the 1998 Winter Olympics and a bronze medal from 2002 Olympics. This seemed to be her last chance for a gold medal, but due to injuries she will not achieve that dream.
   Kwan announced her decision on Feb. 12, dressed in black and eyes filled with tears. “When I first put in my petition, I said I believed I would be 100 percent by the time the Olympics came around,” stated Kwan. “But yesterday, after going on the ice and feeling stiff, I don’t think I can be 100 percent. I respect the Olympics too much to compete, and I don’t feel I can be my best.”
   Emily Hughes, the 17-year-old younger sister of Sarah Hughes, winner of the 2002 Winter Olympics, will replace Kwan on the Olympic figure skating team. Kwan, who was anticipated to stay in Italy, decided to leave so as not to be a distraction to the team. Hughes is expected to arrive in Torino and compete with Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meissner to make up the U.S. Olympic figure skating team.
   Kwan, who defined figure skating the past decade, was one of the biggest names of the 2006 winter Olympics, and her pulling out shocked the world. She was a favorite who was predicted to win big this year. With hopes dashed, but a wonderful career behind her, Michelle Kwan has left the Olympics.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home