Monday, September 26, 2005

Nonsmokers Die Every day

Opinion
By Devon Nuckles
At 10:30 a.m. I’m heading down the interstate from Ripley towards West Virginia University at Parkersburg, not because I’m happy to be going to class but because I’ll finally get to the bottom of this Clean Indoor Air Regulation that has many fine young smokers upset. So here I am going 90 down the interstate with the Tool CD “Undertowplaying over my speakers.

When I finally arrive at WVUP at 11 a.m. I’m an hour and a half early for class, a first in Devon Nuckles history. Once my class for the day was over, I head back to my car (the Maroon Monster), grab my pocket notebook and my tape recorder, and get to work.

On the day before I did this field report, I had had to do a story on just the facts, like the journalist that I am. And, with facts being facts, I found out that this new regulation is the work of the crazed but often necessary Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department. Talking to Al Collins, the police officer at WVUP, I found out that this issue is beyond the control of Dr. Gnage, WVUP’s president. However I was not content about this whole matter at hand here.

So today I come across my first interview. Her name was Tabitha, who agreed with the nonsmoking entrance but thought that being 15 feet away is a little ridiculous. When I asked her if she had any closing statements she said, “It’s just stupid.” Ok, yes, Tabitha was a smoker, so I thought I would look for nonsmokers. I head off to the lobby.

There in the lobby I find a nice guy named Matt, a nonsmoker. Ha! Matt was sitting in a chair, dressed in black with what appeared to be an Iron Maiden T-shirt, and long black hair. When I asked him about the new policy he thought it was “a little ridiculous” as well. “I don’t understand the point in that as long as you’re outside,” said Matt.

After my nice little conversation with Matt I headed over to a group of gentlemen nonsmokers who asked to remain anonymous. I asked them what they thought of this whole thing. “If you’re outside I don’t see the difference in 15 feet or five feet really,” one said. “If you don’t want to be around smoke, don’t go around it,” the other said. They both agreed that this is a “power trip” for nonsmokers to see how far they can push smokers. “We live in the Mid-Ohio Valley,” the other replied, “There are worse things in the air besides cigarette smoke."

As time went on I interviewed several people, smokers and nonsmokers alike. They all had something different to say. However, they all agreed that 15 feet was a little absurd. I did come across two girls sitting outside who were for the new regulation, however. They, like many nonsmokers, felt that smoking is a disgusting habit. They also felt that they should not have to be around smoke as well. Hoping to challenge their viewpoint, I told them that smokers and nonsmokers alike were against the regulation but their opinion did not change. Then I told them that smokers agreed on the no-smoking entrance. They still stood in their ways. Knowing that there was no convincing them of anything I politely said, “Thank you for your time,” and went on my way. However, it may be of some interest to you that these two fine young ladies were sitting right next to an outdoor ashtray. How can they complain about smokers and sit right next to an ashtray?

About ready to call it quits for the day, I head down the first floor hall where the offices are and come across two other girls. I explained the new regulation to them and asked them what they thought. The girl who spoke to me, a nonsmoker who wished to be anonymous as well, offered this statement: “It’s getting a little extreme, you know, with smokers. They’re not nice people if they don’t get their cigarettes.” While I was speaking with her I noticed that she had an orange RAZE button on her backpack. Even a girl supporting an anti-tobacco organization thought the new regulation was unnecessary.

Having my fill for the day I go back to the Maroon Monster and head home. On my way home I start thinking about everything that was said today. Smokers and nonsmokers alike thought that 15 feet was somewhat unreasonable and both sides were able to agree on no-smoking entrances. However, nonsmokers, the ones like the two girls sitting next to an ashtray, have this strange mindset going on where they think they are better because they don’t smoke. They have this eternal-life fantasy where as long as they don’t inhale smoke they will live forever.

Allow me to POP that bubble right there and say, “Nonsmokers die every day!” If you don’t want to be around smoke, move away from the ashtray and quit complaining about our nasty habit. Yes, I know it’s gross, yes I know it smells nasty to you, but we are not making you be around it. That’s your choice. So if you‘ll excuse me, I’d just like to enjoy my cig.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home